Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Scribblings: For Richer Or Poorer

First Sunday of 2009 and I realize if I don’t post for Sunday Scribblings I’m missing the opportunity of perfect discipline for the entire year and therefore sabotaging my intentions at the outset…this week’s Sunday Scribblings prompt is: ‘For Richer or Poorer’ which automatically brings to mind wedding vows and it’s no small irony that I actually attended a wedding for the first time in YEARS on New Year’s Eve. I know the groom, Jonathon, well but hardly know the bride, Jessica, at all outside of her having become the love of Jonathon’s life.

As we watched the two exchange their vows and rings and devoted looks into one another’s starry eyes I couldn’t help but think how little we know when we stand before God and a congregation of friends and family exchanging those vows. I remember well those vows being a ‘passage’ into a life where two shall become one and having little concept of the duality of the realities of life they represent. For better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health…you stand there unless you’re already facing a handicap or life altering illness in all optimism believing it will ALL be better, richer, in health. How could it not? But then, life is tough & throws you curve balls so it’s good to recall when it’s not what you expected on the wedding day that you promised your love and devotion and fidelity despite whatever reversals of fortune and expectations may come to pass.

I’ve never been wealthy but have often considered myself rich. I have little desire for trappings of wealth and believe people are ALWAYS more important than things. As long as I have people in my life who share past, present and future I’ll remain rich in the ways that matter most and I know this because just trying to imagine being wealthy but lonely is beyond comprehension that anyone would choose such a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment